|QC Continue Efforts to Restore Normalcy|
The heavy monsoon rains last week have flooded major thoroughfares, affected hundreds of families living along waterways and, unfortunately, taken lives in Quezon City.
But amidst the adverse situation, the Quezon City government led by Mayor Herbert Bautista did not let the predicament stop the institution from performing their important tasks to bring back normalcy and strengthen disaster response efficiency for QC residents.
The city’s environmental protection and waste management department (EPWMD) has fielded 200 dump trucks and around 1,000 personnel and volunteers for a massive clean-up of post-flood debris along QC’s major roads and thoroughfares. The operations started right after the rains ceased last Thursday, August 9.
EPWMD head Frederika Rentoy said that most of the areas targeted by the clean-up drive were barangays along the Tullahan, San Juan and Marikina rivers where more than 6 foot-deep floodwaters had caused much damage at the height of the heavy downpour brought by the southwest monsoon in the past two weeks.
Among the barangays affected by the Tullahan River overflow were West and North Fairview, Sta. Lucia, Gulod, Sta. Monica, and Capri. The barangays of San Antonio, Damayang Lagi , Del Monte, Masambong, Sto. Domingo, Apolonio Samson, Mariblo, Talayan, Sta. Cruz, Paraiso, Nayong Kanluran, Paltok, Roxas, Kristong Hari, Tatalon, and Doña Imelda were the areas inundated when the San Juan River overflowed.
On strengthening the city’s disaster response capability, Mayor Herbert Bautista said that the QC government is primed to procure Bancas geared with modern life saving equipment for efficient rescue and relief operations, especially during floods. He said that the bancas can be more dependable than rubber boats due to the formers slim size and durability. It can likewise maneuver easily in difficult to reach areas.
The city’s 142 barangays, including those that are not flood-prone barangays, will be provided with a banca that could be utilized as augmentation vehicle of adjacent flood-prone barangays.
The QC mayor wants the 142 bancas to be made and supplied by a QC-based company.
The QC Disaster Risk Reduction Management currently has four bancas that they use during rescue missions.
Earlier, the QC government had acquired a multi-million rescue van which is now on standby and ready for emergency operations in times of calamities – natural or man-made.
The special rescue van, equipped with a hydraulic boom, can be used for high-angle rescue operation for it can reach the top floor of a five-storey building. The van may likewise be utilized for collapsed structures and in rescuing those trapped in manholes.
Related Article: Previous Quezon City Action Initiatives